List of Free Online Games
<startFeed /> This list describes many of the games that can be found online. All are free to play (although some offer bonus content for microtransactions), and generally have content suitable for public libraries. In addition, some require certain browsers to work, and others require the user to download software.
Many patrons will (hopefully) find this list useful - one recommendation would be to print it out and make it available.
No downloads required
Jocuri Online - http://jocurionline.madland.ro/
- Play Free Online Games, fun games, puzzle games, action games and more.
Set Daily Puzzle - http://www.setgame.com/set/
- A puzzle game using shapes, colors and patterns.
Online jigsaw puzzles - http://www.voknel.com
- Free online jigsaw puzzles, beautiful pictures.
Scrabulous - http://scrabulous.com
- Play Scrabble online alone or with others. A login is required.
Sudoku - http://www.sudokulive.net
- Your favorite sudoku puzzle game online.
- sudoku strategies
- The following game sites host a variety of arcade-type games appropriate for tweens and teens:
Sudoku Strategies sudoku strategies sudoku puzle strategies
Miniclip - http://www.miniclip.com/games
Sudoku Techniques sudoku techniques
various sudoku techniques
Addicting Games - http://www.addictinggames.com
play suduko puzzles online
XGen Studios - http://www.xgenstudios.com/
daily sudoku daily sudoku free online daily sudoku puzzles
Myspace Games - http://myspace.com
- You must have a myspace login to play these games.
All Girl Arcade - http://www.allgirlarcade.com
Armor Games - http://www.armorgames.com
Play Free Online Games:PONGED - http://www.ponged.com
WiiCade - http://wiicade.com
Free Online Games - http://freeonlinegame.com
YoYo Games - http://www.yoyogames.com/
- That ends the free arcade portion of this list.
Kingdom of Loathing - http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
- A hilarious browser-based RPG with stick-figure art, and such character classes as Pastamancer and Seal Clubber.
Urban Dead - http://www.urbandead.com/
- Survive a zombie swarm for as long as you can with the help of other players in this browser-based MMO, or try to hunt down the survivors as a zombie.
Desktop Tower Defense - http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/Game.asp
- A fun little time-waster that lets players set up turrets and other defenses to protect their work space from little "creeps."
Runescape - http://www.runescape.com/
- An incredibly popular free MMORPG with somewhat dated graphics (which have recently been upgraded somewhat). A good starting point for people interested in the genre.
Adult Swim Games - http://www.adultswim.com/games/index.html
- This site has a number of Flash games in varying levels of tastelessness. Definitely not for kids, but there are some interesting ones here.
Kongregate - http://www.kongregate.com/
- This site hosts a large collection of Flash games of varying quality and of various genres. Users can rate games, and contests are available, as are leaderboards for those wanting to track their scores in comparison to others.
Crazy Monkey Games - http://www.crazymonkeygames.com/
- Like Kongregate, this site hosts a large variety of Flash games, and lets users rate those they play.
JSPuzzles - jigsaw puzzles - http://www.jspuzzles.com/
- If you like jigsaw puzzles, this is the site to visit. The program slices up a picture into pieces, and lets you put it together. You can even upload your own photos to be made into puzzles.
Ginormo Sword - http://babarageo.com/flash/ginormo/
- This Flash game with the cheesy Atari-esque graphics is surprisingly addictive. Hack and slash your way to victory using the most massive sword you can build!
iFiction - http://www.ifiction.org/
- A collection of interactive fiction games (e.g. Zork) that can be played in a browser.
TypeRacer - http://play.typeracer.com/
- Test your typing speed and race against other people at the same time!
Ikariam - http://ikariam.com/register.php
- A browser-based game reminiscent of Civilization, with a focus on resource management.
Neopets - http://www.neopets.com/
- Described as an online cross between Pokemon and Tamagotchi, users can create and raise their own virtual pets, and compete against others. The discussion board is heavily moderated in order to make it safe for kids. A premium service is available for a fee.
Renaissance Kingdoms - http://www.renaissancekingdoms.com/
- Basically an online Renaissance Faire, this game does its best to replicate life in early modern Europe. Be a peasant, a lord, a politician, or an innkeeper, and everything in between.
OGame - http://www.ogame.org/
- Start with your own planet and create an interplanetary empire by exploring and collecting resources.
PBS Games - http://pbskids.org/games/
- A collection of games appropriate for small children. A good recommendation for parents.
Disney Games - http://home.disney.go.com/games/
- This site provides a number of safe games for small children. Again, parents will appreciate this recommendation.
Cartoon Network Games - http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/games/
- Like the above two sites, you can find a number of games for children here, although the target age range is slightly older in this case.
Virtual Apple 2 - http://www.virtualapple.org/
- Relive the halcyon days of the Apple II with this browser-based repository of games like Sherwood Forest and Oregon Trail. It may be necessary to download a plug-in for your browser to make it work, however.
Jennifer Government: NationStates - http://www.nationstates.net/
- Create and manage your own utopia and see how well it fares on the world stage.
Utopia - http://games.swirve.com/utopia/
- Another nation-builder, this one set in a fantasy medieval world. Explore the world, amass resources, and war with your neighbors in real-time to acquire land and honor.
Horseland - http://www.horseland.com/
- Breed and train your own horses and dogs and compete in events in this unique MMO. An excellent recommendation for girls. A children's version is also available.
Cool Horse Games - http://www.coolhorsegames.org/
- A collection of horse games for kids to play and enjoy.
Goal Line Blitz - http://goallineblitz.com/
- Own and customize your own football team, sign players, and compete against other teams from around the world in this browser-based simulation.
Puzzle Pirates - http://www.puzzlepirates.com/
- This pirate MMORG comes in two flavors -- free adventures with no download, or a more complex game with download and micropayments for added content. The cool thing about this game is that combat and other actions -- from swordfights to sailing your ship -- are carried out by playing puzzles. Graphics are little Lego-like people. -- LizD
The Tombs of Asciiroth - http://www.icculus.org/asciiroth/#play
- A browser-based RPG with ASCII graphics that rewards exploration.
Dino Run - http://www.pixeljam.com/dinorun/
- Try to outrun extinction as a dinosaur. Fast-paced, and reminiscent of one of the old Sonic games.
Fantastic Contraption - http://fantasticcontraption.com/
- Solve puzzles by making impromptu machines that use realistic physics. A very thought-provoking game.
- What if Tetris used realistic physics? Would it be possible to stack them very high? Find out for yourself with this game.
Cursor*10 - http://www.nekogames.jp/mt/2008/01/cursor10.html
- An interesting brain-teaser that gives you ten mouse cursors, each with a finite lifespan, and keeps track of what the previous cursors have already done.
Legends of Zork - http://legendsofzork.com/
- A spiritual successor to the old text-based Zork games, this new version is a humorous top-down exploration-based RPG.
Minecraft - http://www.minecraft.net/
- The beta is free to try on their website, but you have to buy it to get the full version, which requires a download.
Software download required
Maple Story - http://maplestory.nexon.net>
- A popular 2D MMORPG platformer with cutesy anime-style graphics. Costuming options are available for your character through micropayments, as well.
NetHack - http://www.nethack.org/
- NetHack is one of the most famous of the "roguelikes," dungeon-crawlers with randomly created levels and punishing difficulty.
Dwarf Fortress - http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
- An extremely ambitious game with ASCII graphics, Dwarf Fortress has two parts - one involves creating and defending your own dwarf kingdom, and the other lets you create an adventurer and journey through a huge, randomly generated world. Definitely worth checking out.
Cave Story - http://www.miraigamer.net/cavestory/
- Explore a series of caves in a 2D gameplay style reminiscent of the original Metroid, but with a brilliant story.
I Wanna Be the Guy - http://kayin.pyoko.org/iwbtg/
- This game is an homage to the days of the NES, and gamers will probably see a lot of things they recognize - if they're good enough to survive the game's massive challenge and many, many instant deaths.
The Interactive Fiction Archive (BAF's guide) - http://www.wurb.com/if/index
- This site archives and links a large number of interactive fiction games. Many of them need to be downloaded to work, however. The entries for some games link to iFiction, and can be played without downloading.
Universe Sandbox - http://www.universesandbox.com/
- This fascinating game lets you move around the very stars and planets themselves, and the physics engine simulates what would happen in real life. Great for science-inclined folks.
Mabinogi - http://mabinogi.nexon.net/
- A Korean MMORPG, Mabinogi has very good anime-styled graphics and a fairly large and deep game world. While it is free to play, the free game is limited, and people who pay for a subscription get more content.
Knytt Stories - http://nifflas.ni2.se/index.php?main=02Knytt_Stories
- This minimalist platformer series is very well-done, and certainly worth a look.
- A beautiful, relaxing game in which you simply fly around and play with clouds, collecting and scattering them and creating storms.
Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean Online - http://apps.pirates.go.com/pirates/v3/welcome
- Between the Disney name and the Jack Sparrow introduction, this pirate MMORG has a lot of built-in attraction for all pirate fans. Good graphics/music as you might expect. Rated E+10. -- LizD
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden - http://www.gamingw.net/forums/index.php?topic=68488.0
- Set in 2053, this post-apocalyptic RPG stars Charles Barkley, ex-NBA star, who must uncover who performed the Chaos Dunk that destroyed Manhattan. Yes, you heard correctly.
Flowers of Errors - http://www.tojam.ca/games_2008/flowers_of_error.asp
- A very relaxing game that uses poetry instead of a scoring system. Difficult to describe, but great for those looking for something different
Teeworlds - http://teeworlds.com/?page=downloads
- Best described as a cross between Kirby and Worms, where characters blast each other from platforms.
Virtual Stock Exchange - http://vse.marketwatch.com/Game/Homepage.aspx
- Run by MarketWatch, this "game" is more of an educational tool that lets you invest fake money in real stocks and see how well you do.
- An addictive puzzle-platformer featuring an extremely agile, yet fragile, ninja. Can be extremely difficult, but rewarding, and comes with a level editor. Released to home consoles as "N+."
- An old-school shooter in the vein of "Space Invaders."
- The game's creators describe it best as "Yeah, it's a bit like Asteroids' hyperactive, drug crazed brother displayed in blur-o-vision and viewed through psychedelic sunglasses in a cheap nightclub."
NEStalgia - http://silkgames.com/nestalgia/index.php
- A free MMO that has old-school 8-bit graphics and an interface similar to the old NES Dragon Warrior games.
MegaGlest - http://megaglest.org/
- Real-time strategy using seven different factions.
Desktop Dungeons - http://www.qcfdesign.com/?cat=20
- A bite-sized roguelike that has small dungeons that make for a great time-waster. Average play length for any of them is about ten minutes.
--Trvose 19:34, 18 July 2008 (UTC) <endFeed />